Monday, October 17, 2011

First day as public servant in Brazil


I live near the place where I will do my internship. It is at most three kilometers. However, since the infrastructure in terms of collective transportation in this city is somewhat offset in the political agenda, I need to take the bus a little more than half way there. So I walk, through our area, in the suburb of Salvador, to the nearest bigger bus station. From there I could keep on going and I would soon arrive at my destination, although I find It easier to take the bus since it is so warm and I don’t want to arrive soaking at work – especially not the first day. The bus costs 2.50 real, about 10 kr or 1 euro. 

I arrived. I entered and I was greeted welcome by my boss who is also my supervisor in field for the master thesis to come. The office is a small landscape, only the boss has his own room and a secretary. There is a small kitchen where the cleaning women hang out, make coffee and serves the offices. There is no coffee room or place for people to go and take a break. If you bring lunch it can be warmed in the small kithchen but you have to eat it at you desk. This environment makes the office landscape a noisy place - people work, hang out, chat about how the weaken was, have informal job meetings over a cup of coffee at their desks - side by side - no rules. 

Every one is very nice, open and helpful - the rest is quite confusing, new and difficult - especially in therms of language and communication which normally is one of my strong points... I feel handicapped. It will be one of the biggest challenges for me, to learn how to cope with not benign able to use the written word or speech like I'm use to. 

We'll se how it goes

No comments:

Post a Comment